12 Jul Wall Murals and Wall Decals Aren’t What You Think
Many Vancouver business owners misunderstand wall murals and wall decals. They may not associate them with business signage, or they don’t know how they are used. Defining these terms does provide some clarity.
If you ask most people what a wall mural is, they may think of art painted on the sides of buildings by artists. While those are murals, for sign companies, a mural is any graphic, photo or font (or combination of the three) printed on a large sheet of thin vinyl and adhered to a wall either by static cling or an adhesive backing.
Similarly, if you ask most people what a wall decal is, they may think of a sticker, such as you’d find in a child’s colouring book or on a car bumper. A sticker is not a decal. Stickers are usually printed on paper. When sign companies refer to wall decals, they mean any graphic, photo or font (or combination of the three) printed on a small sheet of vinyl and adhered to a surface either by static cling or adhesive backing.
From the definitions above, you can see that the main difference between a wall mural and a wall decal is size. While generally, murals are large and decals are small, how they are used may also differ. Wall murals tend to be large, depict a scene or a motif, and are usually used for decorative purposes or as part of branding. Wall decals tend to be smaller and are often used on walls or windows to advertise or market aspects of a business.
Wall Mural Uses
Vancouver businesses often use wall murals in:
- Offices to display inspirational quotes or words that describe the business
- Waiting rooms and reception areas as part of interior design
- Restaurants for thematic design and mood, photos of food, or even for wall menus
- Mall store exterior and interior walls
- Retail stores as part of a design theme or to indicate departments (e.g., shirts, pants, shoes)
Wall Decal Uses
Wall decals are often used for:
- Wayfinding signage on walls or doors of businesses and buildings
- Restaurant walls to advertise specials, showcase menu items, or as part of interior design
- Inspirational quotes or words in offices and boardrooms
- Company history timelines in corporate offices
Window decals, a close cousin of wall decals, are used for:
- Business logo, hours, and telephone number displayed on entrance doors
- Restaurant windows to advertise specials or as part of interior design
- Retail window displays to advertise sales or products
- Reception counter dividers and boardroom windows as a privacy film. Privacy films are semi-transparent and created to look like etched glass
Get a Free Quote for Wall Murals or Wall Decals for Your Vancouver Businesses
If your Vancouver-area business is considering murals or decals, receive a free estimate. Sandbox Signs + Graphics provides free consultation, graphic design and installation services. We can also work with your creative team.